Monday, July 21, 2008

Still waiting for that warp drive you promised me


Like Semmelweis, I too love mankind. Unlike Semmelweis, my love has been tempered with a healthy fear. That old fallen nature of man is ominous enough that it can take a considerable effort to consistently act out of my love rather than my fear of man. It makes me feel like I'm in a codependent relationship with a pathological partner. No matter how hard you try to make it work, from time to time people fail, fall, lash out.

The remedy of choice for relationships in this category is to end them, leaving them behind, if possible far, far behind. But since mankind is ever more the dominant species on Earth, man is a lover who is not so easy to leave. Where does one go to escape? I wish I knew. Every time I look out the window, the sad parade of petty tyrants, fools and knaves is still marching by with no evidence that the ranks are thinning.

As far as I can reckon, about the only thing one can do under the circumstances, is to praise the Lord of one's own understanding, and of course, pass the ammunition. :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think a healthy fear of mankind keeps you smart, and to some degree allows you to help others by keeping in check the real dangers that we're capable of. I'm glad that you're not visiting the beach that often; you're far more useful among the apes.

peter said...

Yeahhh. I always hated the beach anyway.

Anonymous said...

The Lord is not quite armed to the teeth!